Maths at Callicroft Primary
At Callicroft we feel it is important to make maths real and fun for our children.
We ensure the children know and understand how to use written methods but also how to apply them to different contexts.
Each class has a maths learning wall which supports the children's learning through each unit. The learning wall is a space where the children can identify what they already know, what their next steps might be and what they are working towards.
At Callicroft we work hard to make learning as interactive and inspiring as possible. Making the most of all the spaces available including the outdoor spaces to: measure and design new playgrounds, planning and building new flower beds, using sand and water to learn about capacity.
Areas of the Curriculum:
- Number and place value
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
- Fractions (including decimals)
- Geometry (properties of shape / position and direction)
- Statisitcs (from Year 2 onwards)
- Ratio and proportion (Year 6 only)
- Algebra (Year 6 only)
Callicroft Maths detectives - Can you solve problems?
At Callicroft we see problem solving as a very important area of maths. We feel that children are able to secure and apply mathematical methods best when they use them to solve problems.
Problem solving allows children to:
- seek solutions not just memorise procedures
- explore patterns not just memorise formulas
- formulate conjectures, not just do exercises.
Problem solving is taught weekly by all teachers. we focus on a different area of problem solving each term.